About 5 years ago, I made a very clear pact with myself: I was going to stop trying to MAKE everything happen the way I thought it should, and try to be more aware of the signs the universe might throw my way… in any shape or form. I have somewhat stayed true to that pact, but every now and then I need a swift kick in the butt to remind me of my promise.
A few things happened this week that have helped me remember:
- This weekend I was lucky enough to run into an old coworker and friend who I had fallen out of touch with. We were able to spend a good 15 minutes catching up and laughing about life. It was wonderful, and it reminded me of how much I miss her and others that I’ve been lucky to know in my life.
- I was taking out the recycling, and a card fell out of a huge pile of junk. It was an unopened card addressed to me from one of my closest friends. Somehow it had made it’s way mistakenly in the recycling, and somehow it flew out at precisely the right moment.
- I had dinner with a friend, and was told about how our mutual friend and her partner were faced with some difficult medical issues. I had no idea, and felt terrible.
All of these small moments could have been overlooked, but it was enough for me to get the message. I have spent a lot of time the past year focused on me, my work, and my family. All for very good reasons, but my focus has been slightly narrow. I’m a goal-driven person that feeds on making progress and accomplishments. That has served me well in many ways, but it has also caused me to lose touch with some of those I care about.
The universe took the time to throw a few nuggets of ‘friend’ reminders my way, and I would be cheating myself if I ignored the gestures. In my mind, I should be paying the universe back for those kind reminders. I’m going to make a few calls and send a few thoughtful notes.
This might not be something you feel could apply to you, but these little tokens from the universe can come in many forms. They can serve you-both in mindset and in action. If you are wondering how, here are some examples of when the universe might have been trying to send you a few hints:
- WORK: Have you been working uphill and against all odds to make something happen? Could you be going at it the wrong way, or could you take another angle? Is there someone standing right next to you that could help you see signs as to another path?
- HOME: Every time you try and do ONE extra thing before bed, you end up waking up like a zombie. Your zombie self tells you that coffee and just a little time will make it right. What you really need is to slow down and SLEEP.
- KIDS: Are all the stars aligned and your kiddo is in a good place today? TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT! Go on an errand you wouldn’t usually risk with kids, or have them help you clean part of the house. Take a chance- the universe has faith in them today!
- DRIVING: Stuck in traffic or is construction taking you down some ridiculous path? Look around while you are on your new route- could you be missing an untapped resource that might serve you well? Hell, maybe a crazy driver was on that other route and would have hit your car.
It might sound crazy or like hippy-speak. I know. I get a little idealistic sometimes. But hey… it can’t hurt to give it a shot every once in a while.
The universe has some pretty cool things to say to us. We just have to be willing to listen.